Couple of months ago I started a mini experiment, where I made one simple poster a day for a month. Most of the graphics was quite abstract, using simple shapes and utilizing Blend tool in Illustrator (btw I wrote more about the Blend tool and how I use it earlier in this blog). This wasn't even meant to be a real project, but rather an exercise in simple shapes and composition.
/ 25 static posters
Even though I liked some of the images I thought animating them would bring more life and make graphics more dynamic and interesting. I believe that our screens are not utilized to its full potential just yet. If I were to print posters, they should obviously remain static, but since they were only meant to live on a screen, adding motion to them seemed like an obvious idea.
One of the compositions I made above was formed by a number of red full circles and half circles bounded by paper margins. I though I can animate it by dropping circles from above. To do so I had to learn some expressions in After Effects by watching tutorials on YouTube to achieve that "bounce" effect when circles touch surfaces.
Having simple circles fall down wasn't interesting enough. I wanted to add a second layer that would be revealed by animation. Since it was Friday, I though adding typography and reminding myself that it was Friday and probably not the best day to sit infront of the screen, would make it a little more fun.
When I finished animating the first poster I though that it would be interesting to think about adding that additional layer that can be revealed using animation. For the next few weeks when I had a spare moment I would sketch some of the ideas on paper and then later try them out in After Effects.
Interesting thing here is that I had to plan grid and layouts based on number of letters in each day of the week. You can see that count at the bottom right of the sketch.
The next poster utilizing "reveal" concept was designed on Sunday. By moving simple shapes within a grid I was able to show the word "sun" and few seconds later the word "day" forming SUNDAY.
Saturday was the first poster where I started to skew type and play on moving proportions to form different layouts over time.
Monday is using similar concept as Sunday, where I reveal parts of the words by scaling circles inside smaller boxes that build a background pattern.
I am used to seeing static design most of the time and having that one file where I can see everything sitting nice on a grid. In this project I had to get used to that one static view doesn't exist anymore, the graphics is constantly in motion.
Working on Thursday poster I discovered "Turbulent Displace" effect in After Effects. This is one of the best examples where I wouldn't think of this design working in static mode in Illustrator or Photoshop. The idea came by playing with motion in After Effects.
Wednesday is for work. Letters formed by constructor elements.
Skewing type is a big no in typography. Too many things can go wrong if you distort letters. Glad there's no typography police investigating my work.
By the way here are the three typefaces I used in this project:
- Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Extended
- Druk XCondensed Super
- Druk Text Wide Heavy
All animated posters together
See more work at www.repponen.com