During my month in Peru I travelled through 4 different climates—from the Pacific Ocean and desert of Mancora, to the long forgotten rubber kingdom of Iquitos in the Amazon jungle, to the bustling coastal metropolis of Lima, and finally all the way to the last capital of the Incas in the high Andes.
I took nearly 3000 photos and decided to put together a photo story with selection of some of the most interesting shots. I used ReadyMag as a tool, as I did multiple times in the past, because it allows me to put together a quick website with custom design and has enough flexibility with what I want to do with layouts.
As I've done previously for other photo stories and considering my obsession with maps in general, I just had to create a custom map with our itinerary. I usually just screenshot Google Maps or Apple Maps, depending what looks best for specific location, and just destroy it in Photoshop.
Since it is a photo story, layout is pretty simple. Also new feature in ReadyMag allows me to "lock" elements to certain parts of the browser, for example far top right corner. Most of the photos appear full screen with some basic information overlaying it. A small post stamp illustration that represents location, relevant description with date, a map of Peru with exact point where the photo was taken and a special feature this time—actual exposure settings from my camera and lens used (both work on hover).
For each different location I decided to make a small post stamp with graphic design treatment that would represent the place. Therefore the title of the project "Postcards from Peru" that made sense. All the stamps were illustrated in Photoshop just using vector shape layers.
I was searching for a nice typeface that would work for the cover and could not find one, so I ended up creating custom letters. I wanted the title to be extremely bold and have very minimal negative space, so I could incorporate photography into each letter representing all four regions of Peru I visited, one per each letter.
For the rest of the type I wanted to have something bold, to the point of being "black" and really extended (super wide). I went through Typekit making selection and ended up with these three typefaces I liked the most and then settling on Nimbus. I used Nimbus pretty much everywhere, with an exception of Aktiv Grotesk for small description copy on every page under the stamp image.
All the images in the story were post processed. I wrote a lot of posts here in the blog about my workflow already, so you can just search here for more information. I usually use Lightroom as my starting point and VSCO filters that I really love. I feel that Lightroom is still a bit limited in some ways, so after I am happy with adjustments in Lightroom I bring my photo to Photoshop to make some final touches. Still, about 80% of photos I keep only edited in Lightroom, the rest 20% go through Photoshop.
Below you can see some of the Before/After examples. One thing I noticed is that my camera had hard time "guessing" temperature in the Amazon jungle. The lighting was very strange all the way, and most of the photo by default had very cold temperature appearing really blue.
If someone is interested in equipment, I used my Canon 5D Mark III and took only two lenses to this trip: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 and Canon 27-70mm f/2.8. In fact, on every single slide with a photo, you can hover over "Lens Details" at the bottom left of the page and see which exact lens was used. On top of that if you hover "Exposure" you'll see core settings that I had for capturing that particular photo.